You CAN have all your eggs in 1 Basket
We are going to be covering several science concepts with the EGG DROP PROJECT!!
Kinetic energy- energy in motion
Potential energy- stored energy
Conservation of energy- how energy is changed from one form to another
Newton’s Laws of Motion 1-3
- Your project will be dropped from a very high point.
- You have to produce a package made mostly from recycled materials.
- It must not be larger than 30 x 30 centimeters.
- All work must be done in class as a group project
- There will be 2 eggs and both must remain unbroken
- Must be an original design
- The egg must be put into the design on the day of the competition. The design must allow for easy opening and inspection of the eggs.
- Repairs requiring additional materials will not be allowed once the competition has begun.
- No glass containers
- Be prepared to clean up a mess, if necessary
- Due April 3
Questions to think about:
- Should your container be made rigid; or is it better if it collapses?
- Should the egg be able to move, or should it be held immobile?
- What types of materials or structures will absorb the shock of impact?
- What types of materials will contain the egg if it breaks?
Possible recycled materials:
Paper, tape, cardboard, balsa wood, rubber bands, string, feathers, glue, straws, plastic wrap, bubble wrap, toothpicks, cotton balls, soda bottles, water bottles, etc…
(no hot glue)
- 2 eggs supplied by the teacher
- Recycled goods (washed or wiped down clean)
Required information to be included on the
- Mass of the container plus 2 eggs
- Surface Area of the container
- Volume of the container
- Where did the recycled items come from?
- Diagram of the container